Saturday, December 19, 2009
Sunday, October 11, 2009
உருட்டுகட்டை, பட்டாபட்டி போட்ட குத்துப்பட்டு, அவனே இவனே என்று டைட்டில் பாட்டு எதுவும் இல்லாமல், இரண்டரை சொச்ச மணிநேரம் உட்கார்ந்து படம் பார்க்க வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள். யாரும் அரிவாளைத தூக்கிக்கொண்டு "வெட்டுங்கடா" என்று அலையவில்லை. ஜீப் வெடித்து பறக்கவில்லை. கதாநாயகி ஓரளவுக்கு மூடியபடி வருகிறாள். கதாநாயகன் ஒண்டியாக பத்துபேருடன் சண்டை போடவில்லை. சண்டை வரும் நேரம், பயந்து ஓடுகிறான்; போலீஸ் அவனை காப்பற்றுகிறது.
தமிழ் சினிமாவிற்கு இப்படி பல முதல்கள். இயக்குனர் ஒரு பெண். மௌலி முதலானவர்களை வைத்து இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் சிரிக்க வைத்திருக்கலாம். பரவாயில்லை.
Friday, September 04, 2009
- Articles will not have date or place.
- Unnecessarily repeated words like web hosting, review etc and hyperlinked to equally useless content.
- Poor language ("Currently, over 50 web hosting company is being review, testing, comparing, and judging.")
- Disconnected title and content.
- Content by anonymous authors.
- Boasting of SEO achievements - http://www.globatreview.org/globat-review-after-12-months
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
கழகங்களின் தயவால் பல்லுடைக்கும் தமிழ்தான் நல்ல தமிழ் என்று ஒரு எண்ணம் இருந்து வருகிறது. அறிஞர் (?) அண்ணாவின் ஒரு சோறு பதம் - "...ஊட்டிய உணர்ச்சிகளை உயிர் உள்ளவையாக்கிட உறுதி பூணும் வகையில் கொண்டாட வேண்டும்...." எதற்கு என்ன அர்த்தம் என்று என் 12 வயது மகனுக்கு புரியவைக்க நான் பட்ட கஷ்டம் வேறு யாருக்கும் வர வேண்டாம். அவன் இந்த காலத்து மாணவன். "OK", "like" என்று இரண்டு வார்த்தைகளை வைத்து எல்லாவற்றையும் விளக்கும் ரகம். வைரமுத்துவை தரிசித்தால் தமிழ் வருமோ என்று அதற்கும் ஏற்பாடு செய்தோம். பெரிய பலன் ஏதும் இல்லை. அண்ணாவின் தமிழ் அவனைப்படுத்தியத்தில் ஏதும் வியப்பில்லை. அவன் வேலையை சுளுவாக்க நான் ஒரு வழி செய்தேன்.
- எந்த வார்த்தைகள் புரியவில்லையோ அவற்றை விட்டு விடு.
- தேவையில்லாத பெயரெச்சம், வினைஎச்சங்களை விட்டு விடு.
இந்த கடின மொழி தமிழில் மட்டுமல்ல - அனேகமாக எல்லா இந்திய மொழிகளிலும் இருக்கும் என்ற நம்பிக்கை எனக்கு இருக்கிறது. ஒரு முறை ஆல் இந்திய ரேடியோவின் ஹிந்தி பற்றி பால்ராஜ் சகானி சொன்னார் - "அப் சமாச்சார் மே ஹிந்தி சுனியே". குத்துமதிப்பாக மொழி மாற்றம் செய்தால் - "இப்போது செய்திகளில் ஹிந்தி கேளுங்கள்". இது சுமார் ஐம்பது வருடங்களுக்கு முந்தைய செய்தி. இருபது வருடங்களுக்கு முன் கேட்டது: "மந்திரி நே சம்வாத் தாதா சம்மேளன் மே சம்போதித் கியா". இதைக்கேட்டபின் மந்திரி மேலும், பத்திரிகைகாரர்கள் மேலும் இருந்த கொஞ்ச நஞ்ச மதிப்பும் போனது.
என்னுடைய ஹிந்தி ஞானமும் கொஞ்சம் குறைவு.
Monday, June 15, 2009
- The Window style and font don't conform to the ones that you are used to with other Windows programs. (Note: I'm not using the term standard. Standards aren't important as long as you can find the information you need, who cares!)
- To set an auto-forward, you have write some code. I'm not sure if that's VB Code. But if you have to write code to do something as simple as auto-forward, who cares if it is VB or Simula.
- If there is an easier way to set auto-forward, I couldn't locate it in the past two months - weekends included.
- The visual cue that you are used to in other email clients on whether it is an email or meeting invite are so poorly done that I end up missing some of the meetings.
- It doesn't remember any of the addresses you had typed. You got to add them to the addressbook for it to search.
- The default font is so clumsy that it feels like using a green console.
- The web interface for the app, called iNotes is a horror. The UI has the least useful default sort order. The earliest mail shows up first.
- The navigation is undefined when you delete a message in the message view. It would show a page with no context and you have to navigate to Inbox by clicking on the link.
- On deleting the message, the message would continue to show up in the Inbox with a trash can to the left. I don't understand the purpose as there is already a trash folder and why can't this mail be moved to that folder?
- Even on IE, there are usability problems. Pressing the up arrow within the editor will change the font. I didn't bother to try it on Firefox or Chrome which is my default browser.
- I didn't expect a Gmail like interface as the app might be a few years old, but Squirrel mail would beat iNotes hands down.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Sunday, April 26, 2009
- Setting it up as system account will continue with obscure messages that it can't set the user's properties. Once the installation ends, you will find all applications in your programs, but none of them will work. All would show an error message with the code "
- You may be lucky when trying to set it up as domain user account, but I didn't have much luck - be it an active directory or a Samba based domain controller. A coworker mentioned that it took about 4 hours to install it. The error messages will keep you guessing on what is going wrong. You need extensive experience to read the mind of the developer who created those messages. To cut the story short - give it a try once. If it fails, try the local user account.
- If you had logged in as domain user, but if you try to set up the service in another local user's login, you will still get errors like that the user is not an administrator. Best option would be, create a local user, login as local user, begin the installation, give the local user credentials for running the services and continue.
Sunday, April 05, 2009
- The background score was too R D Burman style, could have been a lot better.
- The movie continues with the character stereo types you get to see in Hindi movies - all honest cops are Rathods, Khannas or Singh. Supporting good cops can be Muslims and all the low level (or corrupt or inefficient) ones are Maharashtrians. Repulsive.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
- Some science (often supported by statistics) that no one understood were behind the rituals. An example would be scientific backing of (Hatha) Yoga.
- Intangible benefits - like punya, better concentration etc. Example: Benefits of meditation as told by practitioners.
- Elders said so - I don't know and wouldn't question that.
- People didn't have any authentic experience in support of these theories. Even if they had had, they don't value it and use as a supporting fact.
- The Western mind and the education system insists too much on the objectives to a level that a subjective experience is distrusted and seen as a lie.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D.Raja said: "We are in the election process, the home ministry tried to explain to the organisers whether the IPL management was aware of the elections or not. I never knew that the IPL leadership would be so apolitical."
He added: "The IPL is doing this for profit and when you do something for profit, you cannot expect a country to change its elections. They cannot take the country for granted. People in India have feelings for cricket, but they (IPL managers) should not exploit these feelings for profit."
Congress spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan said: "It is a private tournament organised by private organisers, it is their decision (to take out the tournament)."
"How can I comment on whether their decision is correct or not?" Mrs. Natarajan said to IANS.
Another weak comment that doesn't find anything wrong with the media or IPL's arm twisting the government. And it also ignores the fact that the country doesn't have a better security with the UPA at the helm.
Overall the entire episode shows that:
- Our election process can be free of violence only with large deployment of security forces. This explains our democratic tradition.
- The government - be it the UPA or NDA haven't figured out governance.
- The corporate India is self-centered and cares a damn for anything other than their profits.
- The media will play to the tune of the corporate India and cares little for ground realities.
- People like me have blog as the only sane platform to vent out our frustration.
1. Bridge the status for many people
Are we looking at a more or less equal status of people because all of them can have a car? Is this the end of all differences and do we start treating people equally? Nano is just a product that would attempt to cash in on the small segment of city people that can afford a bike but can't afford a Maruti 800 or such a car.
Status differences are there and will be there. There will always be a comparison.
2. Allow people to convert their dreams in reality
The one who managed to buy a Nano would want to sell it the next year and move up to a bigger better car. So, if someone can dream of a Nano, the next dream would be an i10 or Getz or Maruti 800.
Agreed. A car is safer than a bike just because you can't drive a bigger vehicle as crazily as you would drive a bike. But sir, what about the safety of the poor souls that happen to walk and cycle on the same road. Yesterday, I stopped for letting a pedestrian cross the road. She was shocked that someone could do that and stood like a moose in front of the headlights. In the meantime, I was honked and yelled for stopping!
1 lakh (or advertised as Rs 99,999 + taxes) is just a marketing figure. I wonder what would be the cost of driving it that includes fuel, maintenance and insurance. Tata cars aren't known for their ease of maintenance and roads aren't designed for a maintenance free driving either. At this state of economy when the money flow is not guaranteed, people would obviously think a hundred times before committing on an ongoing spend.
My concern is, as the number of cars keep increasing, we have limited road-space in all the cities. We just can't afford to have more cars without causing major problems in environment, physical and mental health and lastly economy. In these conditions, it would be foolish to expect an expensive product to make life better for the masses.
- To me, Tata's Nano and their acquiring of Jaguar, Land Rover or Corus lack the vision Tatas are known for.
- If building a car from ground-up is an achievement, they have done it with Indica.
- Instead of improving its quality and being cost effective in the production, Tata chose the 1-lakh car. Though the idea sounds good, it seems to be driven by ego - that we can do it.
- That has an adverse impact in making fair judgment of the present conditions. I feel the opposition at Nandigram should have been seen as a bad omen for the 1-lakh car. We usually do not see resistance as a warning and Tatas are no exception.
Friday, March 06, 2009
She applied, got the connection in about a week. Then we went onto cancel the account with Airtel. The day after I submitted the request for cancellation, Airtel guys called up to make an offer - a cheaper deal so that we continue to keep their connection and not worry about change in the number. I politely declined saying that I'm fine with the small effort needed in keeping people informed of the new number.
A week after we got the BSNL line, the JTO from BSNL informed us that the broadband connection is through too. He offered to help setup the connection. He didn't care to understand our current configuration and insisted that we follow what said. I decided to give it a shot - reset the router-ADSL combo (Netgear DG834G-v3) and began doing the setup. As expected it didn't work. I searched for the installation CD and tried reinstalling the router software.
Now comes the pain point. The installer indicated that the line doesn't have ADSL signals. We called up BSNL for support; they came with their own modem, tested the line and said it is fine and concluded the problem is with the router. I struggled for a couple of days with the power-off-reset-change socket-change cable cycles and decided to go for a new router. Technical intuition told me that we might be missing something and shouldn't need to get a router. Luckily we decided to hold back on buying a new ADSL+router as the price quoted in open market was almost double that of what BSNL was quoting.
After so much efforts, the techie in me had given up and decided to cry for help. I called up NetGear support this morning. Surprisingly, there were support engineers available to help outside of the standard office hours of 9-5. The support person understood that I'm reasonably technical and didn't dumb me down like the BSNL JTO. She patiently walked me through the series of steps including resetting the modem, reconfiguring a few parameters to get it to working.