Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bhagavad Gita for Managers

Managing 5 products, 10 responsibilities, always short on resources - from people to time. That is my current state. The mind works overtime and feels tired that nothing could be done to satisfaction. I turned to the Gita for some solution. The following is the conversation that restores my humility and peace of mind.

Me: How can I finish all the pending work? What if the products fail even after I put in the efforts?
Krishna: Put your heart and soul on the tasks and not the outcome. Your role stops there and you have no control over what happens finally.

Me: But, what if the product fails?
Krishna: What is the problem? The world doesn't end there. Investors continue to look for newer products, people who may lose jobs will just move to new jobs. You will continue to work. There is nothing wrong in failure.

Me: If failure is just as certain as success what is the point in my efforts?
Krishna: I said - there is nothing wrong in failure, I didn't say there is nothing wrong in inaction. Your job is to work with your heart, do everything that you could do and leave the rest to me.

Me: If I hire more people, I may be able to complete all the tasks. But I don't get the right people.
Krishna: The answer is the same - you keep looking for the person who you want to hire. When you want him to work for you, you just want him to work for you; don't lie and don't give false promises.

Me: But I am not successful in hiring.
Krishna: The reasons are not entirely under your control, for that matter not under my control either. Each one has his own mind, the people around him influence, they have their minds and so on. So, don't think of controlling a situation, you can't. Just play your role.

I am now relaxed and know exactly what I want to do.

No comments:

Earlier Posts